What to Bring
Practical tips to make your stay more comfortable
Items Needed Upon Arrival
- Driver’s license or photo ID
- Insurance ID card or copy of front and back of card
What to Pack
The high Sonoran Desert climate produces cool mornings, hot days, and cool evening temperature variations. We recommend that you bring casual, comfortable clothing that is fairly conservative in style. (Think safety and function over fashion.)
- Sweats/workout clothing (no tank tops or sleeveless shirts)
- Shorts (knee-length when seated), skorts, skirts, dresses
- Leggings (if worn with shirts that extend to mid-thigh)
- Weatherproof jacket
- Comfortable tennis or walking shoes, rugged sandals, boots (no flip-flops, strappy sandals, platform shoes, or high heels)
- T-Shirts, polo shirts, collared shirts (no tank tops or sleeveless shirts)
- Bathing suits (one-piece suits for women, trunks for men)
For recreational activities, knee-length shorts and one-piece bathing suits can be worn in recreational areas such as the fitness center, pool, volleyball, and basketball courts.
Patients are free to do laundry during leisure hours. All laundry supplies are provided by The Meadows, including irons. In addition, bed linens and towels are provided on campus.
There is a limited amount of personal toiletry items available for purchase in the Bookstore on campus. All personal toiletries brought to The Meadows must be in their original containers. Non-alcoholic mouthwash is allowed. While emery boards are preferred, nail files or small clippers are allowed on campus. Patients may bring their own electric/battery-operated razors. Disposable or safety razors are permitted but will be held by the Medical Services’ staff when not in use.
Your Primary Counselor will evaluate treatment/recovery related reading materials (no outside reading material is permitted). Please bring personal stationery, an address book, stamps, pens, and notebooks. It is also recommended to bring a small amount of cash ($200 or less). If you currently have any Advance Directives or Living Will, bring a copy for Medical Records. Sugarless gum (but not sugarless candy) is allowed. You may also bring your own pillow. Alarm clocks are provided by The Meadows. For those with dietary restrictions, please note that a variety of food choices are available to accommodate a vegetarian diet.
Any medications you bring to The Meadows must be prescribed by your doctor and in the original containers with prescription labels attached. Medications not labeled or with a potential for abuse or dependency will be destroyed upon arrival. A physician at The Meadows will evaluate all medications brought into the facility. For this reason, it is recommended to only bring a 72-hour supply of prescription meds, as The Meadows will refill all prescriptions as needed. Patients can bring a full supply of birth control pills, hormones, vitamins, etc., provided they are in their original, sealed containers. The Meadows will supply and replenish approved vitamins and supplements at no additional charge.
What to Leave at Home
In order to have the most effective and powerful recovery for everybody, The Meadows does not allow certain items on campus for anybody. If you are packing for a stay at The Meadows, please plan to leave the following items at home, as they are prohibited on campus:
- Electronic devices such as cameras, laptops, iPads, CD players, electronic games, musical instruments, or anything not related to recovery
- Novels or magazines
- Medication not prescribed by a physician
- Candy (even sugar-free), food, or beverages
- Sports equipment
- Hobby materials
- T-shirts with suggestive messages (sex, drug, alcohol, etc.)
- Anything made of Spandex
- Aerosol spray cans (except for shaving cream)
- Fitbits and smart watches
- Herbal remedies
- Chewing tobacco or cigars
- Large amounts of cash (The Meadows is not responsible for personal items kept in a patient’s possession, however we do provide access to a safe.)
- Pocketknives or tools of any kind
- Sewing kits
- Smoking cigarettes is permitted in designated areas only. If you plan to smoke while on campus, please bring enough cigarettes for your estimated length of stay.
It is important to remember that all luggage and personal items will be searched upon arrival at The Meadows (patients may request to be present for the search). Any prohibited items will be taken and held by staff until a patient leaves or shipped to a patient’s home address.
For confidentiality reasons, cell phones or smartphones will not be allowed on campus. You may bring your phone, but it will be held by staff. Patients will be provided the opportunity to make one initial phone call upon admission to verify arrival. There is a three-day waiting period after admission before patients are permitted to use the phone. Monitored phone times are designated four times daily.
There is a TV for use in the peer lounge.
Due to the COVID outbreak, we have restrictions in place in accordance with CDC guidelines. That means we have currently suspended in-person Family Week programming and family visitation on our campuses. But we recognize that family participation is important, and a member of the clinical team will reach out to you after your loved one admits to discuss options for family work. We appreciate your understanding as we strive to keep everyone safe and healthy.
Our Admissions team is here to help 24 hours a day and is experienced in assisting others with compassion, dignity, and respect — hallmark values of The Meadows for more than 45 years. The Meadows’ Admissions Specialists are here to help you on your way to a healthier and more productive lifestyle. When you call, they will lead you through a series of questions to determine if The Meadows is a good fit, and how soon your treatment can begin. If you are interested in The Meadows for yourself or a loved one, call or fill out an admissions form today!
If you are interested in The Meadows for yourself or a loved one call or fill out an admissions form today!
Contact our Admissions office
For international callers
Or complete an admissions contact form:
Click below to start the admissions process today