Life Without Ed®
Transform your relationship with food and your body
Back to All Workshops
Personal Growth Workshop
Developed in collaboration with Jenni Schaefer, Senior Fellow at The Meadows and author of the breakthrough best-seller, Life Without Ed®, this workshop brings the book to life and, more importantly, helps you to move beyond problems with eating and body image and to jump into your own life.
Co-facilitated by Jenni herself, this weekend workshop will provide wisdom and practical tools to transform that oh so complicated relationship with food and body. Maybe you have already done a lot of hard work in eating disorder treatment, are no longer engaging in destructive behaviors, and find yourself asking, “Now, What?!” Or, maybe you have struggled with emotional eating for years—numbing your feelings with food and disliking your body—and never had the real chance to focus on healing.
Life Without Ed® is the chance to get the help that’s been missing and that you deserve. Additional topics to be explored include:
- Body acceptance—and even love—in a world that doesn’t accept our bodies
- Repurposing underlying traits like anxiety and perfectionism toward life goals
- What to do if you can’t fully let go of disordered eating
- What to do if, when you do let go of Ed, other self-defeating behaviors emerge, including alcohol and substance abuse
- Relationships and intimacy: building a village and creating boundaries
- Feelings and the fear of feelings, like guilt, shame, sorrow, and anger
- Navigating major triggers (e.g., your exercise-obsessed best friend, your doctor-prescribed diet for medical reasons)
- Making it through big life events without Ed’s help (e.g., college, marriage, divorce, babies, job loss, menopause)
- Grieving the loss of Ed
- Trauma, post-traumatic growth, and resilience after an eating disorder
- Sharing your story and supporting others
We will get creative with art, music, mindfulness, and movement. Get ready for some yoga or tai chi and a conversation about intuitive exercise, which sometimes means just taking a nap! We will help you to develop what Jenni has learned to call “leisure skills” (how to relax and have fun) and even the art of doing nothing.
The Life Without Ed® workshop is for women and men (ages 18 or older) who have struggled with disordered eating and all types of eating disorders. Basically, if you know Ed, have filed for divorce from “him,” and are working on finalizing those papers, this workshop is for you. Think of this retreat as a recovery—and life—boost.
Our Admissions team is here to help 24 hours a day and is experienced in assisting others with compassion, dignity, and respect — hallmark values of The Meadows for more than 40 years. The Meadows’ Admissions Specialists are here to help you on your way to a healthier and more productive lifestyle. When you call, they will lead you through a series of questions to determine if The Meadows is a good fit, and how soon your treatment can begin. If you are interested in The Meadows for yourself or a loved one call or fill out an admissions form today!
If you are interested in The Meadows for yourself or a loved one call or fill out an admissions form today!
Contact our Admissions office
For international callers
Or complete an admissions contact form:
Click below to start the admissions process today