"Finally a comprehensive couples program that addresses the full scope of healing needed to recover from the impact of sex addiction. Dr. Adams’ expertise, experience, and enthusiasm creates a dynamic that competently and compassionately turns tragedy into hope in the midst of betrayal."
– Wendy Conquest, MA, CSAT-S author Letters To A Sex Addict: The Journey Through Grief and Betrayal
The Discovery to Recovery: An Intensive Series for Couples Healing from Sex Addictionintensive offers a safe and therapeutically supported process designed to help couples whose relationships have been shattered by sex addiction to begin to heal and recover. This series is comprised of three carefully planned healing intensives to help guide the couple from the early stages of discovery and disclosure to a life of recovery and renewed hope together or separate, as the couple decides. Couples can attend whichever intensive best fits their timing and needs or complete all three in succession.
The Three Healing Intensives
Intensive 1 – Discovery: From Secrecy to Transparency
- Education modules on partner trauma and the value of disclosure
- Shame reduction and affect regulation skill development
- Disclosure preparation, clinical polygraph, and full therapeutic disclosure
- Disclosure clarification session
- Sobriety and self-care plans
- Post disclosure and couples recovery plan
Intensive 2 – Impact: From Recognition to Amends
- Education modules on complex partner trauma, zones of impact, dissociations, and disembodiment
- Partners will identify the components of their story and present a letter to the sex addict.
- Addicts will present amends and restitution letter.
- Plan and skill development to assist couple from negative “spiraling”
- Couples recovery plan expanded
Intensive 3 – Recovery: From Grief to Hope
- Education modules on difficult conversations, trauma and grief
- Focuses on the value of grieving and re-writing the couple’s narrative
- Identification of family of origin trauma
- Assistance in grieving the loss of the original dream for the relationship
- Couples recovery plan completed
- New couples narrative honored and celebrated in closing ceremony
All three intensives will be grounded in affect regulating and experiential therapeutic modalities that will allow both members of the couple to access their emotions in a safe and contained environment. These modalities include Yoga, Tai Chi, and mindfulness exercises.
Couples Weekend Refresher
One year after the completion of all three intensives, couples can attend a Couples Weekend Refresher at no additional charge. The refresher offers ongoing support for the couple, helps them to reinforce commitments they made in rewriting their story, and encourages them to celebrate new anniversaries and successes.
Workshops run from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted. The schedule is flexible, accommodating the group process.
The workshop will take place on the following dates in 2017:
|Intensive 1||Intensive 2||Intensive 3|
|February 6 - 10||March 13 - 17||May 8 -12|
|July 3 - 7||August 21 - 25||October 23 -27|
We Can Help
For more details, call 800-244-4949 or complete the form below. Our Intake Coordinators are happy to assist you between 6:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. MST on weekdays, and from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. MST on weekends.